Seventeen days remain until the date that could define an entire career. On August 29, Stephen Curry gains the right to sign a two-year extension worth $136.7 million with the Golden State Warriors, and the franchise has wanted to get ahead of the conversation.
General manager Mike Dunleavy addressed the media on Tuesday with a message of calm. He expressed confidence that the point guard will finish his career in the Bay Area and ruled out any notion within the organization, or from the player himself, of seeing him in another uniform. When asked if Curry had ever broached the subject of leaving, the answer was emphatic: he has not.
The phrase that opens the door
However, the executive didn't entirely close the door on the scenario. He explained that the final decision rests with the player, whether to let his contract expire or request a trade, and added that if Curry came to him requesting a trade, he would discuss it with owner Joe Lacob. They wouldn't like it, he admitted, but Curry has earned the right to do what he wants.
It's the phrase that has made headlines everywhere, though it's worth reading it in context: it's an institutional courtesy response toward an icon, not an insinuation of a breakup. Dunleavy summed up his position by noting there are two certainties with Curry: that he genuinely wants to win and that he wants to retire as a Warrior, and that won't change tomorrow, on August 29, or midway through next season.
Why the question arises now
The doubt doesn't come from nowhere. Golden State just finished a 37-45 campaign without playoffs and a summer in which they haven't added anyone beyond the draft. The franchise pursued LeBron James, explored a trade for Anthony Davis and inquired about Jaylen Brown, and came away empty-handed on all three. In the case of the Boston wing, according to Shams Charania, they could have entered the bidding with close to four first-round picks and chose not to.
The result is a roster identical to last year's, with renewals for Draymond Green, Kristaps Porzingis, Al Horford, De'Anthony Melton and Gary Payton II, and rookie Yaxel Lendeborg, selected 11th overall, as the only new face.
Add to that Curry's own physical condition. At 38 years old and turning 39 in March, he played just 43 games last season due to a right knee injury. Dunleavy acknowledged that's a delicate matter and they hope he plays considerably more next season.
A path that Dunleavy says he sees
Despite everything, the executive defended the existence of a way back to contention. He argues the roster has talent, Steve Kerr remains on the bench, they need to regain and maintain health—Jimmy Butler and Moses Moody included—and they have sufficient assets to strengthen the team mid-season if necessary. He also wanted to address criticism over the quiet offseason: if people knew the calls he made and what he actually offered, he said, they'd understand how hard they tried.
In any case, everything points to August 29. If Curry signs, the debate closes. If he lets the date pass, the 2026-27 season will become the most scrutinized of his career.