The tallest player in the 2014-15 Turkish Airlines Euroleague was also the best one in the opening week of the competition, as center Boban Marjanovic of Crvena Zvezda Telekom Belgrade claimed bwin MVP honors for regular season Round 1. Marjanovic led Zvezda with 22 points on 11-of-14 two-point shooting Thursday as his team defeated visiting Galatasaray Liv Hospital Istanbul 76-68 in front of more than 16,800 fans at Kombank Arena
Marjanovic added 10 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 fouls drawn as part of a performance index rating of 30, which was the most among all players in 12 games during opening week. Behind him came Mardy Collins of PGE Turow Zgorzelec, who shined in his team’s road loss against Panathinaikos Athens with 23 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, a steal and 10 fouls drawn, good enough for an index rating of 29. Thomas Heurtel of Laboral Kutxa Vitoria led his team to a convincing 88-69 home win against Neptunas Klaipeda with a double-double of 13 points and 10 assists which helped him reach an index rating of 28. Ante Tomic of FC Barcelona, whose index rating was 27, and four players with 25 each – Tarence Kinsey of Nizhny Novgorod, Sasha Kaun of CSKA Moscow, Jeremy Pargo of Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv and Nihad Djedovic of FC Bayern Munich – complete the best individual performances in regular season Round 1.
Individual highs: Evgeny Baburin of Nizhny Novgorod, 5 steals
Collins was this week’s top scorer with 23 points against Panathinaikos. Devin Smith of Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv and Adrien Moerman of Limoges CSP each grabbed 12 rebounds in the same game, which Maccabi won 92-76, to lead the weekly standings. It was Smith’s career-high on the boards in 89 games in the competition. Heurtel was the only player to reach double digits in assists, dishing 10 against Neptunas. Evgeny Baburin of Nizhny Novgorod had 5 steals to help Nizhny Novgorod beat Dinamo Banco di Sardegna Sassari 88-86. Tomic and Art Parakhouski of Nizhny Novgorod each had 3 blocks to open the season. Marjanovic, Heurtel, Moerman, Smith, Miro Bilan of Cedevita Zagreb and James White of Unics Kazan each recorded a double-double in the opening round of the competition.
PRESS RELEASE EUROLEAGUE
- Nicolas Laprovittola reforzará al Divina Seguros Joventut - 22 enero, 2018
- Semana de los españoles en la NBA - 22 enero, 2018
- El mejor partido de Artem Pustovyi en la Liga Endesa - 22 enero, 2018
- El líder no falla y Melilla toma Manresa - 21 enero, 2018
- Así son los ocho equipos clasificados para la Copa del Rey - 21 enero, 2018
- Tornike Shengelia, Jugador de la Jornada 17 - 21 enero, 2018
- El Barcelona muestra su desacierto en Andorra (102-92) - 21 enero, 2018
- El Monbus Obradoiro acaba con su mala racha en Bilbao (74-84) - 21 enero, 2018
- Victoria y a la Copa para cerrar la primera vuelta del Unicaja (94-87) - 21 enero, 2018
- San Pablo Burgos confirma su buena forma en Zaragoza (73-79) - 21 enero, 2018