A champion who made sure his team will keep defending the Turkish Airlines Euroleague title and a breakthrough performer in his last game of the season shared the honors as bwin co-MVPs as the Top 16 closed in round 14 this week. Devin Smith scored a career-high 28 points to lead Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv into the playoffs with a rousing 64-73 road at ALBA Berlin. To his 7 three-pointers in 10 attempts, matching the most made any player has made in a Top 16 game this decade, Smith added 7 rebounds, an assist and a blocked shot for a performance index rating of 28, which was the highest this week among players on winning teams. He was matched in that total by Boban Marjanovic, whose led Crvena Zvezda Telekom Belgrade to a 69-68 farewell victory against visiting Panathinaikos Athens. Marjanovic finished with 12 points, 3 assists, 1 block, while his incredible 16 rebounds that gave him a new Euroleague record on the boards for one season with a total of 256
Two players who made valiant but ultimately losing efforts to reach the playoffs had the top index ratings of the week. Alex Renfroe of ALBA had 10 points, 9 assists, 3 steals and 11 fouls drawn for a 32 index rating in his team’s loss to Maccabi. Fabien Causeur of Laboral Kutxa Vitoria had a 29 index rating based on 21 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists and a block, but his team lost on the road 93-84 to Unicaja Malaga and was eliminated. Rounding out the week’s best performers with index ratings of 27 each were two more players who continue into the playoffs. Andrew Goudelock scored 27 points to lead Fenerbahce Ulker Istanbul to an 83-72 home victory over Anadolu Efes Istanbul, while Ante Tomic made 9 of 10 two-point shots on the way to a 20 points in FC Barcelona’s 65-88 road win at Galatasaray Liv Hospital Istanbul.
Individual highlights: Boban Marjanovic, 16 rebounds
Smith of Maccabi was Top 16 Round 14 top scorer with 28 points. Taylor Rochestie of Nizhny Novgorod leads the Euroleague with 18.9 points on average, and finished as Top 16’s top scorer with 18.2. Marjanovic’s 16 rebounds topped all players this week. It also improved his season-leading average to 10.7 rebounds, and Marjanovic finished as the best rebounder in the Top 16, too, with 10.6 per contest. Renfroe dished 9 assists, the most of all players in Round 14. Milos Teodosic of CSKA Moscow leads the competition with 7.2 assists, and has had the highest average in the Top 16 with 6.7 per night. Evgeny Baburin of Nizhny Novgorod finished his Euroleague campaign with 4 steals, the best of this round. Rudy Fernandez of Real Madrid leads Euroleague with 1.8 steals per game. Patric Young of Galatasaray Liv Hospital Istanbul was the only player to block 3 shots in Top 16 Round 14. Art Parakhouski was Top 16’s top blocker with 2.2 per game, and averages 2.0 for the season. There were only two double-doubles. Marjanovic had 12 points and 16 rebounds, his 16th double-double of the season, while Tibor Pleiss of FC Barcelona amassed 12 points plus 12 boards.
PRESS RELEASE EUROLEAGUE
- Históricos LeBron y Porzingis, volvió Kawhi y líder Randolph - 13 diciembre, 2017
- Un vistazo a la jornada NBA - 13 diciembre, 2017
- Una técnica cambió el rumbo del partido… y esta vez no hubo épica (78-85) - 12 diciembre, 2017
- Soko lidera el triunfo el UCAM ante el Hapoel Holon (75-81) - 12 diciembre, 2017
- Luis Casimiro: “Es un equipo con características especiales, entraña dificultad por el aspecto táctico” - 12 diciembre, 2017
- El RETAbet Bilbao quiere mejorar sensaciones ante el Partizan - 12 diciembre, 2017
- Para seguir soñando hay que ganar al Cedevita - 12 diciembre, 2017
- El Iberostar Tenerife se mide al líder invicto de la liga letona - 12 diciembre, 2017
- El Obra ya tiene su “gran libro” - 12 diciembre, 2017
- Piratas del Basket en Deportes Cope Santiago - 12 diciembre, 2017